Blog posts, articles, books, and other resources that founders should review regarding key issues that arise in a Startup’s formation and very early stages.
- SHL – Form your Austin Startup yourself before hiring a cheap lawyer
- SHL – Lies about startup legal fees
- Harvard Business Review – Top Ten Legal Mistakes Made by Entrepreneurs
- Yokum Taku – When should I incorporate?
- SHL – Should I incorporate in Texas or Delaware?
- SHL – Why incorporating in Delaware is almost always cheaper.
- SHL – Splitting Founder Equity; Avoid “Grunt Funds”
- Jill Hubbard – How to Avoid Trademark Infringement When Selecting Business Names
- Ryan Roberts – Why Your Startup Company Will Need to be a C-Corporation to Raise VC
- Docracy – It’s OK to copy a competitor’s Terms of Service
- SHL – When do I “really” need to qualify my DE Startup in Texas?
- SHL – How Founders Lose Control of Their Startups; Apart from Ownership
Stock / Money
- Dan Shapiro – Vesting is a Hack
- SHL – What’s my startup’s stock worth? (FMV)
- Business Collective – 7 Common Tax Mistakes Startups Make
- Geekwire – Calculating Founders’ Equity
- Startup Voice – Documenting startup expenses by founders
- Ryan Roberts – What is an option pool?
- SHL – Reserve an Option Pool; Not an Ocean
- SHL – The Founder’s Stock Issuance
- SHL – SAFE: How Founders should document investments in their own startups
- SHL – Friends and Family Rounds
- Antone Johnson – Nuts and Bolts of Intellectual Property Law
- TechCrunch – 10 ways startups can deal with patent troll demands
- UpCounsel – How to Register a Trademark
- Antone Johnson – 5 IP Mistakes to Avoid